25.8.07

Ramblings as I travelled from Halifax to Manchester and then on to Dubai via Heathrow

Getting to Manchester Airport

 

Getting to Manchester Airport from Halifax is a breeze. Just get yourself onto the M62 and then follow the signs. Finding the car park wasn't that difficult but I did have to ask once for directions. Much easier than getting to Heathrow from Abingdon and the parking costs a third of what it costs at Heathrow.

 

Louis Vuitton and Burberry … why?

 

I know I am not a dedicated follower of fashion and I can see that some designer clothes, handbags and shoes are treasured and are to be admired but Louis Vuitton bags and anything with that dull, dull, dull Burberry plaid? I look at those LV bags and think, there must be something fantastic inside them that I am not privy to? I should look inside one some time and see what I'm missing. Burberry really is just fit for Chavs in my opinion.

 

British Airways Check in

 

For a reason that wasn't given I couldn't check in for my Dubai flight on line so I went to the BA check in desks at Manchester and asked if they could do it there for me. Fascinating psychology ensued! At first I was subjected to a barking check in clerk, the sort who thinks that they are doing me a favour by being there. I didn't react and answered all questions and handed over all information when asked. Then, a transformation: she didn't know how to do what I needed to do and had to keep asking her colleague for help. That made her humble and by the time I left, I was checked in and she had even booked me a vegetarian meal within the 24 hour embargo period. Her tone was much more acceptable by the time I left and she apologised for not knowing what to do as she'd never done it before. There, a bit of humility now and again isn't a bad thing is it?

 

I flew from Manchester to Heathrow with BMI and these thoughts careened through my head:

 

The plane was late arriving but we weren't given any information as to why and yet the departure gate was manned constantly from my arrival there, an hour and a half before scheduled take off … couldn't use a microphone and PA system to tell us what was happening? I had my connecting flight to catch and I get really nervous when things don't come together and I don't know why.

 

No one told me that airside at Terminal 3 at Manchester there are either no shops and cafes or if there are, they are nowhere near where I was (the airport leaflet suggests they are there but where?) I had left my sister's house after a cake fest of a buttered Chorley cake and a piece of deliciously moist carrot and walnut cake each. So by 5:30 – 6 pm I needed some sustenance as I knew I wouldn't be eating on the Dubai flight until around midnight. In the end I had to be satisfied with a Snickers bar and a coffee from a vending machine. Better than nothing but where are the communication channels at these airports?

 

The flight to London is a 40 minute flight and I couldn't believe it when people bought sandwiches and drinks.

 

I bought the cheapest possible ticket for the flight to London but for a further £2 each way, I could have chosen my seat. Why would I want to do that? Even though I'm desperate for an aisle seat on longer haul flights, I really don't see the need to worry about seating arrangements on a 40 minute flight. Save your two quid!

 

Similarly, they offer business class on that flight and if you'd bought a business class ticket you would have paid at least £100 more than me per flight. The seats were the same size in business as where I was and apart from using the lounge the only other benefit I saw was that the drink and sandwich was free, on that 40 minute flight. If I were in charge of travelling expenses at the companies that have paid for these business class tickets, I would review such a policy.

 

Trains Between Terminals

 

Why have they built the platform for the trains between Terminals 1 and 4 so far from the Terminals themselves? Terminal 4 is a particular challenge as it's at least a quarter of a mile walk at a guess. For me, that's fine as I love the cut and thrust of running through airports but what if you're old and doddery and in a hurry and you've no chance of getting anywhere on time if you're running late?

 

Language 

  • On the BMI flight, they didn't ask if we wanted to buy a drink or a sandwich, they asked if we wanted to purchase them.
  • On a notice just as I was about to get on the Dubai flight I saw that they were commencing to install a new fire alarm system at Terminal 4: if it were me I would have started installing it!
  • It is odiously common now for cabin crew to say that, for example, we are about to land into an airport. Makes me cringe, that!

 

 
DW

No comments: