21.8.07

Plea to Microsoft

I have been engaged in a conversation with a Microsoft Word discussion list and we have been talking about bullets and numbered lists. Several people have been solving some fundamental and very difficult problems. At the end I sent in the following mini rant ... thought I'd share it with you.

 

>>Thanks a lot Suzy, Christine and Robert and I will work through everything you say carefully.

 

However, in the faint and remote hope that someone from somewhere in Microsoft will feel just the slightest twinge of guilt over this and then do something about it ...

 

I have bought MS products for decades now and what I want to do is to switch on Word, start typing, copying, pasting, saving, formatting, bulleting, listing ... WITHOUT the need for any of these conversations we keep having here. Why can't I rely on my bullet etc settings. Why can't my default or chosen settings be allowed to be the over riding setting that cannot be over ridden without my permission? Like that odious English UK v ANY OTHER LANGUAGE problem. I say as sternly as possible I WANT ENGLISH UK as my default DO NOT CHANGE. The second that I copy and paste anything that is not English UK I encounter a problem where Word can tell me like a gadfly that I've made a spelling mistake even when I haven't.

 

As a matter of interest has anyone corrected a word or phrase in PowerPoint (not sure about Word) to be told that even though it's correct in both UK and US English it's wrong? look closely and you might find that a word is part UK English and part US English. Took me a LONG time to realise that one!

 

Did I read somewhere that MS has spent $8 billion on its 2007 and Vista development? A lot of that has been wasted by the look of it and Gates himself was interviewed by the BBC recently when he said that his passion (eugh!) is software. Looks like it!

 

Duncan

No comments: