10.12.02

Why not have another list to add to your collection? This is some of the music I’m listening to for Christmas and New Year: eclectic isn’t in it! Oh Holy Night: The Mormon Tabernacle Choir … it just appeals to me! I believe in Father Christmas: Greg Lake … I bought this when it first came out yonks ago and have never tired of it Stop the Cavalry: Jona Lewie … love the sound and one day I’ll follow the words Walking in the Air: Aled Jones … no reason except that I like it White Christmas: Bing Crosby … can’t avoid another tireless favourite Jingle Bells: Frank Sinatra … and someone else who I can’t place; can’t even tell you the name of the style but this is a racy version that includes the phrase “I love those J … I … N … G … L … E … bells” and “Jingle Bells, Jing, Jingle Bells …” from The Sinatra Christmas Album Silver Bells: Perry Como … I’ve come across this for the first time this year and it’s new and lively Gaudete: Steeleye Span … folk music types dressed in rags, rocking back and forth appeal with this pseudo intellectual offering Adeste fideles: Vienna Boys’ Choir … and why not have a bit of Latin … venite adoremus? When a child is born: Johnny Mathis … sloppy sentimentality of the Miss World interview kind with just the right amount of echo Two Little Boys: Rolf Harris … I associate this song with Christmas as I’m sure it came out at this time of year initially Thank God it’s Christmas: Queen In dulci jubilo: Mike Oldfield … I think because it was always around at Christmas and it stuck The Holly and the Ivy: Royal College of Music Choir and Brass … not the best but this is a song that I always want to hear and this version is pleasant enough Ding Dong Merrily on High: King’s College Choir … some lovely voices, they enunciate so clearly and they say Hosanna in exCHelsis! Away in a Manger: Nat King Cole … I love his voice and he does credit to this carol, so why not? Silent Night, Holy Night: Bing Crosby … suitably soporific; and while we’re at it … Stille Nacht: Heilige Nacht: Frans Bauer En Marianne Weber … a bit Alexander Brothers in style but it’s originally a German song I think and this is the version I’ve got so we’re stuck with it! Introitus Resurrexi: Einsiedeln Choral … just one track from a Gregorian Chant record that’s nothing to do with Christmas directly but I’m listening to it anyway; and I dream of having a voice like this … from Die Tradition Des Gregorianischen Chorals Beethoven Piano Concerto 5 in E Flat opus 73: second movement adagio un poco mosso … not Christmassy but I came across it fairly recently and like it Any comments? DW

No comments: