14.1.08

This is interesting ... well, I am fascinated anyway

My aunty Emma used to use the word walt in the context of turning an ankle: she would say that one had walted one’s ankle.

 

I have used that word ever since which basically makes me only the second person I know who uses this word.

 

Since I am working my way through the Oxford English Dictionary, I thought I’d take a look at whether walt exists in this very context. Lucky for me, it does!

 

Walt in this context was first recorded c1400 as meaning

intr To be thrown down, fall over, be upset or overturned; to totter; to lean to one side.

Where Intr means it’s an intransitive verb

 

DW

 

4 comments:

Saira172 said...

Well - it's amazing what you find whilst surfing! I was googling some terms I was brought up with as in: "I've walted my ankle" and "seek up" - I was 38 before I realised that "seek up" wasn't a nationally known term for - "hey - dog! Eat your tea up!" So that makes at least 4 of you...Your Aunty Emma, You, My dad and my Grandma... don't suppose you have Horner blood there somewhere? ;o) My dad was from Hebden Bridge as was his dad, his mum was from Bradford. Glad to have stumbled upon your ramblings! Saira

duncanwil said...

Small world Saira172: I was born and brought up in Todmorden just 4 miles further up the Calder Valley from your dad.

As far as I know, no Horner blood in my veins.

Thanks for finding my Blog and coming back to tell me about it.

Gradely!

DW

Unknown said...

Aha! Went back to actually look at my Grandad's bits - he was born in Todmorden in 1903 as were his brothers and sisters... the family had moved to Hebden Bridge by 1911. Cool! :o)

duncanwil said...

Well, what do you know? Small world indeed.

Keep up the good surfing!!

DW