14.1.08

Another word or phrase

I was trying to talk to young Master W on Friday evening but as he wasn’t answering his mobile, my strategy then was to call his girlfriend, the lovely Veronica. She answered and we chatted for a minute or so and then I used a phrase right out of the ark when I asked about her “gentleman caller”. I got that from Coronation Street or some such many years ago. I think it’s a quaint and archaic phrase but I have never been sure which inner messages it contains.

 

Of course, gentleman caller possibly suggests a lie or some intrigue; but I like it and I used it innocently in that context.

 

Haven’t used it before for a long time and Veronica never batted an eye lid when I used it and since she is only 19 years old, I doubt that she’s heard it before!!

 

DW

No comments: