5.7.07

Erudition unbounded

I have been watching a little bit of Wimbledon tennis for the first time in many years and two things stand out:

 

Those shouty players: either I turn the sound right down but even then that's sometimes not enough and I elect to watch someone else;

How erudite the average tennis supporter and player is. As an entreaty to their favourite player to overcome all odds, a supporter will shout something like, 'Come on, Tim.' Or 'Come on, Roger.' Or 'Come on, Marina.' Did you spot anything there? Yes, shouting 'Come on ...' seems to be enough.

 

Then when a player has just scored a point or lost one, they will often shout at themselves, or even heaven, 'Come on!'

 

Why didn't I think of that all of those years ago? I could be a retired, wealthy tennis star now. Another missed opportunity!

 

DW

No comments: