28.11.02

By accident I think I found a really useful site that has reading lists and links for dozens and dozens of accounting topics: maintained by Chris Lamb, I wrote to congratulate him on his work! 25/11/02 Dear Chris, I just came across your site for the first time and think you are providing a very useful service for students, academics and practitioners. I haven't had chance to look at everything you have done so if I have missed something, my apologies. Maybe you would consider taking a look at my own site ww.duncanwil.co.uk with a view to seeing it as a useful resource that can be added to your own set of links and suggestions. Best wishes DW 27/11/02 Duncan Not so much a site as a small corner of one. I've linked in to your ZBB page and will be having a further look to see what matches the topics I have covered. Some of the questions you have posted sound suspiciously like courseworks here but then maybe students throught the UK are doing corporate governance etc. Have you seen the Onepine site covering management thinkers? [See my next Blog entry for details ... scroll down a bit]. Nice potted summaries with lots of references and links for the conscientious student. Chris I responded: 27/11/02 Thanks for that Chris, I was a lecturer for many years but am now back in commercial management accounting, training and consultancy, albeit mainly overseas: Bosnia at the moment for example. What you see on my site is a mixture of what I did, what I do and what people ask me about. I get a lot of questions these days as you can see from my WeBlog, link on my home page, and although many of the questions are from students a large proportion come from teachers and the rest from practising accountants and business people. As far as students are concerned, I give help that ranges from lists like those on your site all the way through to more extensive and detailed work. However, since my work is essentially in the public domain, what I do is open for all to see and so I always tell my visitors that if ever they use my work they MUST acknowledge it in full: I also share my work with teachers and trainers around the globe in an attempt to minimise the pure lift by students! As for corporate governance, this does seem to becoming more popular in UK universities and the professional accountancy bodies are picking up on it too. I know some people refuse to answer what they see as students' assignments, as you can see from the AccountingWEB discussion I mention in my Blog; but since my calling was teaching and communicating, I find it impossible to refuse just about all offers of help! Thanks for the ZBB link and I hope you'll find a lot more worthy of your consideration, too. I also wrote a few things over at Between the Sheets that some of your visitors could well find appealing: interactive spreadsheets that are, again, completely free of charge and they are also fully downloadable! Aimed at entry level students and practitioners, they are not necessarily rocket science! To go with the spreadsheets, there are also A general guide to the spreadsheets A glossary to accompany all of the spreadsheets A teacher's introduction A student's introduction Using spreadsheets Thanks also for the onepine link, I'll take a look at that now. Best wishes and further, 27/11/02 Dear Chris, If onepine is your site, I have to say that you have done a brilliant job. This must be the best single public domain collection of its kind that there is. I have skipped around a bit since I'm not that deeply into management fads and fancies (sorry if that sounds cynical) and liked the way that the Tom Peters link on the home page goes back in a circular loop to the top of the home page where everyone else's work starts. I have little time for Peters but have to admire his newsclipping service that has made him fabulously wealthy via the books he turned it all into. The link to leaderaid on http://www.onepine.info/lead1.htm is dead DW

No comments: