7.7.13

With Bulldog Tenacity Like this, how on Earth did the Banks ever get into such a mess?

Every now and again my bank, nem con, blocks my Visa Debit card and either calls me or sends me an sms to tell me FRAUD ALERT FRAUD ALERT FRAUD ALERT ... we have noticed unusual activity on your card and have blocked it for your security. Call this UK number urgently ... It's happened so often that I just slept on it and then called a few minutes ago. They took me through the usual stuff: date of birth, card number, house number and post code la la la. Then they list the latest transactions on the card and ask, did you do that? Yes, yes, yes ... is my usual answer. So I passed that test and she said, put the phone down and you can use the card straight away. I said, can say something? She said yes. I said, if you look over my account for the last n years you will see that it's not unusual for me to go from Thailand to Dubai to New York to Mexico City, where I am now; and because of that, a few years ago I made an agreement with you to give me worldwide clearance for my transactions. She said, that agreement is still in place but your activity triggered our fraud alert. I asked which one or other transactions and she said, the online transaction ... it was that one that we blocked. She then said something about systems, coming into place next month and I stopped listening. I was thinking, it's going to happen again, laddie! So I simply said thank you as she said thank you. I am grateful that they are looking after me but when I put the phone down I roared with laughter because the transactions they were querying were for >£200 for cash (to pay the rent), <£400 (at Dubai Duty Free), £6.5 (for on board access to the internet, which I have never done before) and £10 (online to top up my UK phone number). It was the £10 online transaction that spooked them!!! Ten Pounds out of about £650!! Take care of the pennies!! DW

No comments: