2.1.13

Admirable Ants!

I admire ants: their evolution, their unity of purpose and their life skills.

However, I was a bit vexed when part of a colony of ants invaded an open packet of salted peanuts I had left on a bench overnight

Years of living in different parts of the world had taught me not to worry about this situation and NOT to do anything drastic. So I ate the nuts and if the odd ant was ingested, sorry for that ... no time for vegetarian obsessions!

We transferred the nuts to a bowl and put them in direct sunlight: trying to cook the little things! That didn't work but at least we were able to pick off a few of them.

This morning arrived, 24 hours later. Ant corpses littered the peanuts. Why? Osmosis ... it was the salt that got them I think.

Message to ants: go for the peanuts but NOT the salted ones ... see evidence below 😳

DW



No comments: