14.11.11

You Could not do that in X

There I was on the metro, minding my own business when a man in a black shirt came and stood near me. So far so good. Then he asked me if only women could get off the train through this exit ... motions towards the door nearest to us.

I say, it's fine and when he said he'd been barred from entering another carriage I pointed out the women and children only privilege.

At that point my reaction on hearing about that privilege was to accept and understand that I am somewhere different from home.

This chap said, "Whoa! In X the liberals would have a field day with that one."

I wished that Lisbeth Salander had been with me to deal with this man!

We got off at the same station and he introduced himself with a look that said, "Hey, buddy ..." An error on my part got me out of a fix. I used the ticket machine at the station for the first time and made a right Horlicks of it. It cost me what turned out to be an AED8.5 fine and another AED4.5 for the return trip on top of the AED8 I innocently but wrongly paid for what I thought was the correct fare.

My new buddy left me to it!

What put me off this chap, apart from his silly remark on segregated carriages, was that as we were talking he showed no interest in my responses (I know, who does?!) AND half way through a sentence he started talking to someone else.

There you are! I dined alone as I had intended to do all along!

DW

No comments: