13.12.09

Sean Connery and Alan Shearer

Sean Connery

There’s an advert running wherever I go at the moment that features Sean Connery. Let me say that Connery is my all time favourite Bond, James Bond. Now, however, I think he is well past his sell by date. In the advert he is trying to convince us that the bank he is advertising is a green bank. His opening sentence is:

Time to get “back to common shenshe”! Thanksh Shaun, shome people will shee what you mean!

Alan Shearer

I was stunned when the BBC appointed Shearer as one of their football pundits. It doesn’t help that he was a Mag but that aside, his talents as a pundit are completely lacking and the passage of time does nothing to improve matters.

I just happened to stumble across an interview with Shearer and Dimitar Berbatov. Shearer began with this:

“Errrrrrm, Dimitar Berbatov …”

Mr Aticulate. Not. I have complained here before that journalists who are journalists because they are English language (or other language) graduates are not necessarily to be commended. The same with Shearer: an accomplished footballer but a journalist and pundit, come off it.

Berbatov speaks English to a high standard and he has just quoted the opening lines of a book that seems well beyond “The Sun’s Guide to Footy”. I wish they could have shown Shearer’s face at that point as it was probably intellectually way beyond him!

Sorry Shearer, not for me! There are many much more articulate former players, managers and the like in the game who should have got your job.

DW

1 comment:

duncanwil said...

This is worth waiting for IF I CAN FIND THE TIME. I am going to make a parody video of each of Connery and Shearer. Shee what I mean? Errrm, aye, ye naa!

Would like to have done them by the end of this Friday, 17th December 2009 ... in time for you to put them in your stocking for Santa!

DW