7.10.12

Rubik's Cube: the power

First of all, I have never solved the Rubik's Cube but this morning I came across a young lad solving a 5 x 5 x 5 Rubik's Cube and wondered what the results look like for a 3 x 3 x 3, 4 x 4 x 4 etc cube. This is what I have found:


By size, I mean 2 represents a 2 x 2 x 2 cube, 3 represents a 3 x 3 x 3 cube and so on
By seconds I mean the fastest actual time I can find recorded for anyone having solved that size of cube
By SecPred I mean the predictions made by using the Power Function y = 0.0327x4.6187 determined from the trendline on the following chart:



Without having done any extensive checking, the actual data, albeit very limited, seem to follow a power function, rather like a learning curve; and the question is, can we use the actual data as the basis for predicting potential record solving speeds for existing and larger Rubik's Cubes? I created the following table, which is an extension to the table above:


Interesting ... for me anyway!

DW

No comments: