25.4.12

Happy Birthday Dad!

Had he lived, my dad would have been one hundred years old today. He died just three weeks short of his sixtieth birthday.

I was only 19 when he died so I never got to know him as a man. As is often the case, all that is left of him are a few photographs and memories.

A quiet man with very little formal education, he was a partner in the family business. He finished his career as the owner of a pet foods shop on Halifax Road in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

It always seemed to us that he knew how to drive to anywhere without consulting any maps and wherever we went he always met someone he knew!

He never went abroad so he never had a passport. He never flew in a plane. He never read a book that I am aware of.

My parents were never demonstrative people and I only ever saw them kiss once: a peck on the cheek one Christmas following the exchange of gifts.

Were my parents in love? I didn't know the answer to that question until my dad died. My mother was devastated and it was something she never recovered from and in my opinion she died of a broken heart.

Birthday wishes dad!

DW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Mr. Williamson.