7.8.11

Gone for a Walk!

After having spent so much time locked away in a guest house in Afghanistan, it is vital that I get my body as fit as possible again. Since some clown stole my car a few years ago I have been carless: that helps to get the pins moving as I have to walk everywhere.

So, on Friday, I trusted the weather forecast and set off from home to walk to Ogden Water in Halifax. The weather was pretty good but even though it's early August, I did the right thing to wear a pullover and shirt as well as taking a coat with me.

I  made a mistake by not checking my camera battery the night before: I had charged the battery over the weekend so was completely surprised to find the battery totally drained as I tried to take my first photo!

After that, I had an ordnance survey map with me and referred to it frequently: good practice and good safety I'd say. As a second safety device, I checked that my phone was working from time to time ... and it wasn't always working! There are black spots in phone coverage. However, the only black spot I found was at Ogden Water itself; and there were other people there!! So no damage done.

I spent a total of four hours on the hoof altogether and was absolutely warn out by the time I got home at 3 pm.

I had a long hot shower as soon as I got in as I was dripping in sweat: really, my shirt and pullover were drenched! I lay on the bed after the shower and fell asleep. A good day but there are so many hills and the terrain can be rough that the work was hard!

I was dreading Saturday but my legs had stood up well (pun intended!) and I walked to the supermarket and back and while I am no longer a whippet like young chap, it went well.

Today, Sunday, I can walk up and down stairs without dragging myself with the aid of the bannister!

I want to take another walk today but it is persistently tipping it down!

Remember, I couldn't use my good camera but my phone camera did quite well ...






You'll find many more photos and a video on my Facebook page ... why not hurtle over there now?
DW


No comments: