2.6.09

Screen Writers are Getting more Ridiculous

Everyone who comes here regularly knows that I bemoan the ruination of the English English language. Well, I watched the film about Dylan Thomas on the plane last night. British film, British cast, set in Wales, many people spoke with Welsh accents. Even Keira Knightly spoke with a Welsh accent, eventually that is.

Very early in the film, Knightly's character appears as a singer in war time London. Then as she gets home to Wales she explains to Dylan Thomas, a childhood friend and one time lover, that she is "Singing in the Underground right now"!

I couldn't believe that the screen writer would make a war time Welsh girl say right now in any situation whatsoever. I am surprised that Knightly herself didn't spot how out of place it is and I am shocked that the director or editor or someone didn't think to change that to what she would have said. She would have said something as simple as now or at the moment ... but certainly not right now.

FFS as my nephew is wont to say!

DW

No comments: