4.6.09

Oh! Windows 7, Windows 7, wherefor art thou Windows 7?

Good question!

I am using my HP Tablet laptop as an experimental computer these days since it has proven so useless and unreliable otherwise (Pavillion 1350ee). I am testing Windows 7 Beta there but thought I'd give Windows 7 RC a go.

I went to the Microsoft (MS) site and after a bit of bother I managed to get the download of the massive file started. It took well over an hour but I was patient, I choose the location of the file and it finished downloading successfully as far as I could see.

After the file downloaded I went back to check what I had to do to install the thing. I needed to create a DVD of the ISO file I had downloaded ...

I went to the folder I had selected for the downloading of the file. Erm, empty, nothing, nada, zilch, nul. I thought, that can't be true so I went to windows explorer and searched for the file: nothing.

In similar situations I often go back to the source, start the downloading process again and then see where the file had really gone. Well, I've been Gatesed! I am unable to start the downloading process again.

So, Gates being Gates, the process of testing MS software has proven impossible. Astonishing innit?

DW

1 comment:

duncanwil said...

I slept on the problem and decided to give Gates a second chance. So I used my Acer laptop to download and save the Windows 7 RC file. This time it downloaded and didn't delete itself or hide itself.

I was then able to install the new version of Windows 7 on the HP Tablet. It worked although the very first thing I did, try to open a basic file, caused the little blue wheel to spin round and round for about two minutes.

DW