19.10.08

Sex, Dad, Getting a Taxi

Sex and the City

I got desperate on the flight home and settled down to watch the Sex and the City film. Well, I know that many of you will disagree with me but after about 10 minutes I realised I couldn’t watch those middle aged women living as if they were 20 year olds. What with their love lives, the houses they were buying,their relationships and priorities.

It was like watching a geriatric version of Friends if you want an analogy. So I switched it off.

Dad

During my last few hours of my latest trip to Dubai I meandered into the Virgin Megastore to see what CDs/DVDs they might have that might be interesting for me. I bought a trumpet music CD and was happy with that. I then saw a CD entitled, Just for Dad. I picked up Just for Dad but when I started reading the names of the groups and the songs I realised that about a third of them were too recent for me. Gulp! That was a bit of a reality check!

Getting a Taxi

Some of the people who travel on aeroplanes have a problem with their mobile phone. These people feel the need to switch them on even whilst the plane is still in the air. For some reason known only to them, they seem to know that nothing bad can happen to the rest of us as they switch on their phone, so they do. Nokia phones are the biggest give away with their unique bing bing message announcement tune!

Well,as we arrived at Manchester, some clot behind me decided that it was safe for him to call his local taxi company as we were coming in to land and this is what he asked, Can I get a taxi … I wondered, how on earth is he going to get a taxi whilst he is still in mid air. Moreover, in what way did he think he could get a taxi? I think he was trying to be some kind of cool American by speaking like that. When someone asks me if they can, for example, get a cup of coffee, I say, no, don’t worry, the waitress will get it for you.

DW

No comments: