19.8.08

Stupid Foreigner Moment

You know the story, you arrive in a foreign land and are either right royally ripped off or it takes you ages to pay for something as simple as a loaf of bread with their new notes and coins.

Yesterday I went to a supermarket here in Amsterdam and bought a few things. I held my hand out for my change and in a Woolworth moment the check out girl plonked it down on the counter.

There was a sticky surface to the counter and it took a bit of effort to scrape the coins into my hand.

However, as I was putting my things in a bag a young man held out his hand with a 2 euro coin in it. I didn't understand as he said nothing. Then he looked pityingly at me and tilted his head in the direction of the counter.

I apogised and accepted the coin then thanked the man. I felt his withering, pity the poor foreigner look, was a bit much though!!

DW
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments: