2.12.07

Windows Vista

Is Windows Vista very fast? Fair question since that is one of its selling points. Nope, not according to the first two weeks that I’ve been running it on my new duo core Turion64 chip with 2Gb of RAM and 250Gb hard drive laptop. I expected a blistering booting speed and haven’t got it. I expect Office to open up like lightening but  have seen it only in fits and starts. Automatic saving in Office can be annoyingly slow with large files too.

 

I have also been experiencing software crashes that I would have thought would have been more rare. On day one I had one. I have had one on average every other day. Yesterday I went to start Windows Media Player ... it wouldn’t start either by using a short cut on the desktop or by clicking directly on an MP3 file. After just two weeks, then, even Windows’ own software is unreliable.

 

I expect these crashes to be sorted out eventually and appreciate that as a relative trailblazer that I would have these experiences. Still, Microsoft has been around for 30 years or so and I read that they have spent $8,000,000,000 on upgrading Windows and Office to get us to Vista and 2007. Where has it all gone?

 

DW

No comments: