6.12.07

Amsterdam

It’s been a long time since I have been in Amsterdam, 1998 it was and I had forgotten how tall people here are: men and women alike. Now, you know that I am 1.91 metres tall which is pretty tall but I am walking down the streets here and am coming eye to eye with many men and just a few women. Of course, since I learned last night that Holland is the second tallest group of people in the world after the Masai, this should come as no surprise. Moreover, I am also coming eye to chin with some men, too: my eye, their chin.

 

We went on a canal boat tour last night and I haven’t done that since 1998 either. This is a very relaxing way of seeing a city and there are lots of canals to go at. The way these canal boat captains get them round very tight corners is impressive: seamlessly going forward then back then sideways and then forward again round 90 degree corners ... well done!

 

An interesting fact is that there are spaces for 2,500 bicycles outside the Centraal Station (railway); and nearly all of them were taken last night.

 

Speaking of bikes, you really need eyes in your rear end as a pedestrian here: other pedestrians, cars, motor bikes and bikes are all a threat. There are bicycle lanes in some towns and cities in the UK but nothing like this. Moreover, cyclists clearly have right of way either by law or by size and speed so getting in their way isn’t something to be advised I’d say. Add the size of the Dutch to the size of a roadster bike then add speed and confidence and you’ve got the value of ‘C’ ... crunch!

 

DW

No comments: