19.12.07

Swamp the country with them

When I lived and worked in Malawi in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I realised that a good strategy would be to help out the country by doing things like swamping it with Lego sets and Meccano sets and so on. I suggested that because I was finding that even some of my smartest students have visual and spatial awareness problems. I concluded that if they had been encouraged to think in the abstract from an early age, it would help.

 

The idea is a big one: swamp the entire country with these resources. Firstly, that would mean that they would have no resale value. I was well aware that the recipients of aid sometimes sold what they were given either because they needed the money for something else or they didn’t want what was being given to them. So, by swamping the market, the resale value would be very low. Secondly, I didn’t think that any one group should be privileged when another one wasn’t, so no favouritism or attempts at setting up a hierarchy of needs.

 

That never happened, of course, because the aid agencies weren’t smart enough to think like that.

 

On another topic but still in Malawi, I also once suggested to a chap from the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations that they set up a training scheme whereby they train local people to use ploughs to help them with their maize and other plots. Immediately, this goon came back with the problem of financing and maintaining the Oxen they would need. I have to say I couldn’t make him see that they didn’t need Oxen to drive the simple plough that I was talking about and that Piers the Ploughman had used in Medieval England! I walked away from him in the end as I couldn’t stand to think that this oaf was responsible for so much misery with his ridiculous ideas. It’s still the case that the FAO gives away mountains of food aid when what people need as much as anything is the wherewithal to feed themselves. Of course, I realise that there are problems with teaching a man to fish ...

 

Now, what got me on to all of this? Well, I talked about this sort of thing to one of my neighbours the other week and today he brought me an article from The Halifax Evening Courier of 5th December 2007 in which it says that Bart Spicer of Sowerby Bridge is trying to convince all 17,500 primary schools in the UK will buy and use a product from Holland called Brickadoo ... which is a building toy comprising bricks and so on similar to Lego but with significant differences ...

 

Yet again, you heard it here first! Well Done Bart, of course.

 

DW

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Show your social awareness, apply for Lottery Funding and YOU contact schools etc with your idea - and lego sets....

duncanwil said...

Another anonymous comment that I will respond to:

Show your social awareness, apply for Lottery Funding and YOU contact schools etc with your idea: and lego sets....

Firstly, I did discuss this matter whilst I was in Malawi and I still discuss it now. I travel a lot and I meet people who may be in a position to take action on what I say. I have influenced some things; but this is not one of them I am sorry to say. As for lottery funding: I have to confess I hadn't thought of that and I may well do that.

The point of my post though was to offer support of the gentleman who is trying to do something similar here in the UK and I told my Malawi story partly to show that I had a similar idea but that there are other people who have the power to take decisions and they are very reluctant to share their power. I also tried to show that some of the people taking some of the decisions may not be the best people to do so.

DW

Bart Spicer said...

Hi Duncan,
I read your blog (purely by accident) and it is interesting to note that the UK educational curriculum does not encompass creative learning for youngsters in the same way that their counterparts in Holland, Germany, France etc do.
This is where the word Oaf that you aptly applied to the man from the FAO comes in. Our country is full of them, and most are emanating from the unelected quangos that make decisions on our behalf without consultation, and our taxes pay for it!
Oh well, maybe I am a grumpy old man, but that's my view in general.
Brickadoo is getting into some schools, and I have other ideas on that, but it is the consumer market that I am reaching out to in the main.
Hope you succeed with your aims over there in Thailand. I used to do military work up there in the late 60's when I was in the Army. Loved it.
Regards
Bart

duncanwil said...

Thanks Bart, I am happy you found me. I will tell my neighbour as I'm sure it will make his day.

My trips to Bangkok are a mixture of business and pleasure and so far so good.

Duncan