19.8.03

In the middle of my network problems, MS Outlook has decided that I don't need to reply to my email messages now. Come to that, why would I want to send new messages, too? Save yourself all the bother and don't send anything. Kuh! Why didn't I think of that before? Oi, why don't we disable receiving messages for a while, too? OK, go on then! That's the current position I'm in. Last week I INNOCENTLY took a peep at something called 3DAtlas (from Borland I think) and as I click, clicked it asked if I wanted to install Outlook ... since it's already installed I said no, of course. Wrong answer. So the installation of Outlook started apace in spite of what I said. I thought I'd ride this out until I could cancel the process and was duly given my opportunity. However, it reset my Folders settings so that messages were coming into the wrong group of folders and in order to reply to messages I had to move them physically. Until Monday, yesterday, when they saved me all the bother by preventing me from being able to reply to anything wherever it is. Along the way, I talked to a couple of people, on the phone at my own expense and may have found that BT (oh glorious BT) is in on this. BT provides my broadband service and I learned that it is they who have blocked the Tesco.Net account that I have not been able to send from my desktop for MONTHS; and I had been flagellating myself for having set something the wrong way, too. So, has 3DAtlas and MS together conspired to reconfigure my laptop such that BT has got involved and will now mean that I can only receive messages and not send anything and have to go right to my ISP web mail server to communicate with the world? That's a step back around 10 years I think! Of course, if you sign up for the half dozen or so email providers that BT supports, you're fine! This computer business is tiring don't you think? By the way, Windows XP, Office XP, firewall and fully up to date anti virus software (don't worry, it's not Norton) should mean that I am in the elite band of trouble free chappies but I'm not, as you can see. DW

No comments: