6.2.03

I got one of those dreadful letters that makes one wonder how some businesses survive. Remembering that I've been in Bosnia since last November and that I have been using my mobile phone in roaming mode for that period, I got a letter from my mobile phone provider, O2, BT as was. They began their letter with words to the effect of "Unfortunately, you are such a lousy bleeder that we have cut you off. Pay your bill immediately. Do it now." What has happened is that I have exceeded my limit, £200, by accident and even though I pay this bill by direct debit, meaning that it will AUTOMATICALLY be paid as per my agreement, they want their money NOW. If I have gone over the limit, I am sorry of course; but I wrote to Dominic Connolly, their Collections Manager, to say that I thought I was a long standing and valued customer rather than someone who should have bile vented on them. I also suggested that it might be a good thing for them that I had generated so much extra business for them with my trip and shouldn't they be happy about that rather than treating me like some pariah? In the old days, credit controllers (debt collectors) used to begin the process of collecting a debt by assuming that the current problem was due to an oversight and he was sure that the issue could be resolved nice and easily ... not now! Dominic couldn't even be bothered to tell me how much I should pay him NOW, either. DW

No comments: