26.12.17

Gardening

I have loved having a garden for as long as I can remember and I first owned my own garden in 1983. It was tiny and I went from complete tripe to overwhelmed by one kind of flower to mediocre. My garden in Malawi was fantastic: real credit to our garden boy and, of course, my estate management skills. Ahem! I am taking back control of my garden here, now. We inherited some trees and bushes and they are still here. I laid a lawn front and sides of the house and whilst they don't sell what I call grass here, it looks like a lawn and I mow it from time to time to keep it neat. I love kitchen gardens and have now taken control of that aspect too. Mrs W is prone to planting a hundred seeds of one plant that then grows and overwhelms us with a harvest we cannot appreciate: she gets things to grow, at least. I am taking a more measured approach now and have planted a lot fewer seeds and bulbs but will plant again in a few weeks' time to get a proper flow of plants going. Let's see how it all works out. I will report back from time to time. DW

No comments: