20.7.12

WebCam Live!

Since I am staying at home for a while, I am trying to turn my house into a home. One of the things I am doing is setting up two or three feeding stations for birds. Since the birds here seem to feed at around 5 - 6 am when I am usually in bed, I thought I'd set up a webcam so that I could see which birds are eating the food.

I wanted to be able to leave the camera on while I am away in another room, say; and watch it remotely. Just a bit of research showed me a variety of solutions and within a couple of minutes I had set up a webcam and was streaming it live around the world. At the time of writing it is 11:15 am and raining and there are no birds here.

What my current cam shows is the patio outside my office with a small pile of seeds in the centre of the image. I have asked the camera to take a photo every 20 minutes too so it will build up an archive of images to see what slithers in!

The solution I have chosen, My Webcam Broadcaster, is free and very simple to use and I am exploring a reasonably cheap, ie not free, solution that will give me enhanced features such as switching on only when there is some kind of activity.

Take a look here: http://www.eyespyfx.co.uk/livelist.php ... click on the letter D, then the number 2 or 3 and you will see my webcam with the name Duncan Mac Webcam ... click on it. If you are asked for a password, it's welcome.

Please take a look and you never know what you might see ... some birds, yes; but I have no idea which!

DW

No comments: