4.1.11

Three actors: great, grate and grave

Three actors made the news yesterday, in my world anyway.

Pete Postlethwaite died yesterday. Pete was not a handsome man but he really was a fantastic actor. I have not seen all of his films but the one that stands out for me is Brassed off! He was the leader of a brass band in that one and the way he conducted this band in Halifax’s Piece Hall was out of this world. Watch the film and watch out for that part. A great actor in my book.

Graham Seed: you might never have heard of him but he was Nigel Pargetter in The Archers. He fell off the roof of his house, Lower Loxley, in true Nigel style in Radio 4’s 60th anniversary episode of this soap opera … inappropriate to do it, inappropriate weather and so on. I remember Nigel as a very young man: he was the archetypal twit. Wealthy parents, courting the very sexy sounding Elizabeth Archer, heading for further twitdom. With Elizabeth the have created what sounds like a thriving and well built business. Now he’s dead. A good actor but his character grated.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is no longer the Governor of California. He will now no doubt be persuaded to return to film making. Oh no! For a many with greater muscles than talent, I for one will ensure that any film he appears in will be avoided by yours truly. Like other talent free zones such as George Clowney, I cannot watch them and certainly will never pay to watch them! Then again, I have to paraphrase Arny’s classic phrase: he’ll be back! He will. Eeesshh! Arny, a grave mistake.

DW

No comments: