8.9.08

Beijing

I made it! It’s a long way from Khartoum to Beijing when you have to go via Doha, Dubai, Amsterdam, Manchester, Halifax, Manchester and Dubai. But it’s worth it.

 

I arrived at around 3:30 pm and after a false start when I couldn’t find the travel agent’s representative and then went to the wrong hotel I got to the proper hotel at around 5pm. Unpacked and then went straight to the Aquatic Centre to see Fran. Well, I SAW Fran but only across the pool. We’ll meet today.

 

Fabulous swimming centre and it’s right next door to the bird’s nest stadium which is just brilliant at night all lit up in red, orange and gold.

 

I travelled the length of Beijing to get from my hotel to the Olympic Green station and had to change lines twice in both directions but I only got lost right at the end when I left Chongwenmen station by the wrong door. I walked around a bit and then found a very helpful group of people willing to help me and one of them spoke English very well. She had no idea where I should go but found a man who did!

 

Off now to Tian’anman square and all that surrounds it before heading back to the aquatic centre this evening.

 

I have taken some snaps with my phone’s camera so far but will take my proper camera with me today.

 

Zai jian until later

 

DW

No comments: