20.3.07

Scaps III: reminder

Finally! Older readers will remember that for my fiftieth birthday I was taken by my family to Harry Ramsden's original fish and chip extravaganza near Leeds as I'd asked for an experience that I could have enjoyed on the day of my birth. Fish and chips at Harry Ramsden's filled the bill.

The point is, that I asked for and got scraps with my dinner. Not just scraps but an entire plate of scraps all to myself. A side plate of scraps indeed. I must have a photo of them somewhere if Bill Gates didn't do for it when he did for the laptop I used to own!

Ah scraps! Are they really illegal now? If they are, no wonder we lost an empire.

DW

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Huddersfield (a northern town) and I've never been to a chip shop that won't give you scraps / bits free of charge. Never had pea gravy though, sounds disgusting - although mushy peas are great!

duncanwil said...

Me neither and I'll never pay for them either.

You should try pea gravy, you might be surprised at how delicious it is. Of course, the chips will become a bit soggy but the flavour and texture is excellent.

Duncan