23.2.07

Spelling

Another simulcast (I know it's nothing like a cast let alone a simulcast but I like the word!)
 
I went to the post office the other day to buy a postal order (remember them?) to pay for something at Companies House.
 
The young lady behind the counter dutifully advised me that there is commission to pay on postal orders which I gratefully acknowledged. Then she asked me if I would like a name to be put onto the order and I said yes, 'Companies House'.
 
She repeated 'Company House'; and I felt a sense of anguish: did she hear the singular or plural? Should I say something. I argued with myself that they must receive all sorts of oddly named cheques every day and would sort out the problem. I waited.
 
Then it arrived: a postal order for £10 plus commission of £0.88 made out to Companys House. I thought I might complain but then thought that such a cancellation of a postal order might cause the young lady a small amount of inconvenience and trouble so I moved on and said nothing.
 
Now, of course, if the thing comes back to me that could cause me and my client a problem.
 
Isn't it fantastic to be so English?


Duncan Williamson

No comments: