26.1.07

Marmite Crisps and Mushy Peas!

Time passes but every now and again something comes along that causes pause!

Marmite Crisps

How about this: Marmite flavoured crisps (that's crisps not chips). After I have posted this message the lazy way, via email, I will log in to blogger to upload a photo of a bag of Marmite crisps. It's not really in the nature of a free advert for the manufacturer as I see it more as a service to humanity rather than a fee advert.

Mushy Peas

Now everyone should know what mushy peas are: they are peas that are, erm, well, mushy! Dried marrowfat peas steeped (soaked) overnight with a little baking powder (don't use bicarbonate of soda on its own as a steeping agent or your pease will taste horrible). Change the water in the morning, get the water up to a softly rolling boil (above simmer but less than the full monty), set the alarm for 10 minutes and by the end of those 10 minutes, you will have a batch of God's own food, manna or even nectar.

Mushy peas are a traditional accompaniment at a Northern English Chip Shop but not all Pansy Southern Chip Shops sell them. Pies and peas are a delicacy: even in Australia they eat what they call a pie float, a bowl of mushy peas with a pie floating on them. Bonzer cricket, bonzer peas, mate!

I had some mashed potatoes and onion gravy left over so that was my dish of the day yesterday. Of course, even a mushy pea gannet like me can't eat an entire batch on my own so today I'll have pie and peas, a pie float. In my case, a vegetarian pie but none the worse for that. I probably won't have any chips, (that's chips not fries) in view of the weight I need to lose on account of pigging out over the last six months or so.

As with the Marmite crisps, there will be a photo of my erstwhile mushy peas here before long!!

DW

No comments: