12.2.04

Don't wish to ofend anyone at all but I went to Cranfield University the other day and even though the University has an excellent reputation, it's a desolate looking place. Shoe box architecture and no mistake. Being situated smack bang next to an airfield makes life a bit more interesting I suppose. I had a massive shock the other day when the desktop opened up with all Windows text (icon titles, title bars in dialogiue boxes etc) all showing Wing Dings rather than text ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh! Panic, save all of my latest data files ... called Microsoft and found that somehow, some way, the Fonts entry in my registry had disappeared completely leaving the system with just three or four fonts. Couldn't be a virus since I'm well protected, couldn't be an attacker since I have a firewall, couldn't be the family ... or could it? Oh, the laptop died again. I reformatted the hard disk as advised but it died as I was building up my software base again. Still, for a short time it was nice to see 35 Giga bytes of space available on the hard disk! I'll keep you informed. DW

No comments: