23.1.04

The UK has a streak running through it that makes me wonder how sane we are. I've mentioned Charles Ingrams before: he's the former army Major who was found guilty of attempting to defraud London Weekend Television out of £1 million by cheating on their Who wants to be a millionaire programme: GUILTY in a court of law. Ingrams was then found to have attempted to defraud an insurance company out of £30,000 I think it was. GUILTY of attempted fraud. In this week's Radio Times I see that Ingrams is being flown out to Australia to appear as a "celebrity" in the ITV programme I'm a celebrity get me out of here. I also understand he will receive £25,000 by way of a fee. Then there is the British student who told security officials at Miami Airport that she had a bomb in her back pack: she said this three times so they whisked her off to jail and kept her there until someone posted bail of £2,700 on her behalf: a businessman I think. This stupid young woman's father went on television to bleat that her treatment was unfair and an over reaction but said his daughter was an immature young girl. Once she had been released the woman herself appeared and spoke with a fake American accent! Then I heard that a British Newspaper has paid her an amount of money to cover her air fare and other expenses ... in return for exclusive story no doubt. I ask: why are these reprehensible people given such status? Ingrams is a fraud and a cheat and now we call him a celebrity. Ronnie Biggs was a thief and complicit in a murder yet people treat him as just a cheeky chappie. Jeffrey Archer was guilty of contempt of court but he is still feted as a lovable rogue. The moral of the story? Get yourself thrown in jail or try to defraud someone out of huge amount of money and you too could become a celeb. DW

No comments: