14.9.03

On my main site I have a 404 (Page not found) message that says something like "If you have arrived at this page, it's because ... please let me know where you were trying to ..." A few visitors have very kindly written to me of late with guidance as to where some of my links problems are: all of a sudden I have been getting HUNDREDS of 404 errors and whilst I've found a lot myself, I obviously haven't found them all. Jennifer wrote this week and helped me to solve one problem. Jim wrote today and helped me to solve several problems. I thanked Jennifer personally of course and this is what I wrote to Jim: Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jim. I had a random look at my home page links and found a batch of problematic ones in the statistics part of the site: I’m very grateful to you for helping me to spot them. On the other hand when I create a new page I tend to copy and paste a link from place to place or use a template: hence, it always comes as a shock when there is such a problem! This is why this problem never comes alone: I must have copied and pasted the home page link in the statistics section three or four times without fully checking. Best wishes and keep reading! Thanks for your help, everyone! DW

No comments: