26.1.03

Here's a top tip that some of you might appreciate. Ever thought you'd like to have something in a Word file but all you've got is a hard copy? Don't have a scanner? If you have a digital camera, here's what you can do: Learn to take a decent digital photograph of the page or pages you are interested in, get some OCR software (there are full versions easily downloadable available: such as ABBYY FineReader) and the chances are it will be able to read the text into a Wrod file ... might also be able to put it into an Excel file if it's a table and the software's reasonably up to date. I do use a scanner and I have an up to date OCR software package but I thought I'd get ready for the day when I'm on the road and I want to input a file ... it works! There, another top tip from your truly! DW

No comments: