5.11.02

Bonfire Night in the UK tonight: celebrating the capture of Guy Fawkes, a Yorkshireman like yours truly, and therefore the foiling of the plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament. Fawkes was guarding the cellar in which the bomb that he and his fellow conspirators had planted when he was found by the palace guard ... following a tip off from someone. The following day, the King was due to open/visit parliament and was to have been the target of the bombing. Fawkes was found guilty and hanged, drawn and quartered as far as I know ... or was he burned to death on a bonfire? In any case, bonfire night is a major national celebration and effigies of Guy Fawkes will be burned on bonfires up and down the country. The fire will be accompanied by firworks displays and feasting on baked potatoes and black, sticky treacle toffee among other things. I woke up early today and got to grips with the web site: I like to post something each week and missed last week so I set aside a lot of time yesterday to write a paper on free cash flow. This morning, I finished a page of answers to some questions on accounting for stewardship that I promised to provide last week or so and that is being uploaded along with this blogging. You can go to my home page, www.duncanwil.co.uk, to see what I'm blethering about if you want! DW

No comments: