19.9.09

My Operation

When we talk about medicine and doctors and the NHS we all say how vitally important it is to maintain the confidentiality of the doctor patient relationship. However, you can travel on a bus or train, walk down the street and even sit in a cafe or restaurant and hear people discussing their most intimate details of their medical history.
Well, I'm not going to do that save to say I had an operation on Wednesday: keyhole surgery. The benefit of it being keyhole surgery is that I was operated on at around 8:30 am and was home by around 3:00 pm. Alternatively I would probably still be in hospital two/three days later and would need six weeks off work rather than being able to go back to work immediately.
I say immedidately but I got tired very quickly yesterday and today because of the lasting effects of the anaesthetic. The pain is minor, however. I am also fit enough to wander the streets a little.
Then again, I recovered a lot quicker than the much younger man in the bed next to me!
So now you know and here is a photo of the key holes they used to operate on me. If you are squeamish, turn away now!
DW

No comments: