30.3.09

Gatesed Again?

I have upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 on my laptop and even though it starts my gmail account it does so with a blip: rendering of the CSS I THINK. I press Ctrl+F5 and the blip goes away.

I installed IE8 on my desktop about an hour ago and gmail won’t load at all now. I installed FireFox and it opened gmail with no problems at all.

When will Gates either get it right or stop interfering with other software that we do actually like to use even if he wants to perpetuate his world domination theme?

DW

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We installed IE8 at work on our DSL standalone and web forms ceased to work. So it was immediately rolled back to IE7.

Apparently IE8 is Microsofts first attempt at following Web standard almost to the letter.

I use Firefox almost exclusively but Chrome, Safari and Opera also have there merits. The next version of Windows is actually going to have an uninstall button for IE, Media player etc. hoorah.

duncanwil said...

It's fascinating and thanks for letting me know that I am not alone!

I have thought about uninstalling IE8 and going back to IE7 but that rendering problem seems to have gone now. Suddenly there and then suddenly it's gone.

I subscribe to a newsletter called Windows Secrets and just today they said that the good thing about IE8 is that it renders perfectly!

You cannot beat MS can you?

Windows Secrets is written by some very high powered Windows chappies.

DW

duncanwil said...

I forgot to add yesterday that in addition to my laptop IE8 nonsense, I installed IE8 on my desktop too and now I cannot access gmail using IE.

Against the wisdom of Windows Secrets I have had to install FireFox and can access gmail from there.

Someone can probably tell me that all I have to do is tweak this for the laptop and that for the desktop but my response is, why on earth should I have to do that? I am running absolutely genuine and fully up to date versions of Windows OS on both machines, I am fully protected by a world class anti virus programme, I don't use any peer to peer file sharing sites ...

DW