13.9.07

Weight or wait

I now know that BMI, a British low frills airline, makes you pay for excess WAIT and not excess WEIGHT, as erroneously printed on their tickets and terms and conditions.

 

I flew back from Heathrow to Manchester the other day and paid £20 for the privilege of carrying an extra 4 kilogrammes of weight in my suitcase. I paid it even though I know all scheduled airlines think nothing of as much as 5 kg more with some waiving even more than that.

 

However, they have then unleashed their excess wait on me: they have lost my suitcase. Not just delayed it but lost it. At the time of writing, two full days since I travelled, I have spoken to them several times, have got an authorisation to spend up to £25 on life's necessities: toothbrush, soap ... whatever I need.

 

As it happens, there is well in excess of £1,000 worth of things in that suitcase: a suit, blazer and shirts are all made to measure and expensive to replace. My shoes are Church shoes and will cost £200 to replace ... As we speak, my mobile phone is being recharged in the car ...

 

I am tolerating "Jane" at the other end of the phone at the moment but will want to move on to someone more substantial very soon. I don't have any more business shirts as all 11 of them were in that case. I haven't shaved since Monday morning but will have to buy another razor now ... Why have I put Jane in inverted commas? The little thing is in Bangalore I think and is as likely to be called Jane as I am to be called Tarzan! No offence!

 

British Airways went through a phase of delaying my suitcases but at least they always got them back to me pretty quickly. BMI now, here's a completely different kettle of fish.

 

DW

No comments: