23.6.12

David Bowie

Fascinating programme on the BBC iPlayer on David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust. The good old songs were there, the make up, clothes and hangers on were there. The sad OLD men with their 1970s long hair were STILL THERE.

I thought it was a good programme done in the usual style: Bowie does something then people who were involved made comments ... then they interviewed someone who probably had nothing whatsoever to do with the case but because they are a celeb or something, they threw them in ... I snooze through those bits.

I learned a lot! One point they kept making in the early stages of the programme was how confusing Bowie's early attempts at stardom were ... they were absolutely right about that. I am from the Bowie era and we WERE all confused about his sexuality, for example. His image changed so much. Fantastic performer though with a lot of the enigma about him.

I think I have finally learned who Iggy Pop was!

One vital point that came out and that I just wish everyone has heard as clearly as me came from Bowie himself ... towards the end of the programme he talked about his drug abuse and how it almost wiped him out. Junkies and dealers please note ... many pop stars are dead because of drugs, many pop stars are dysfunctional because of drugs. People like Bowie almost didn't make it because of drugs.


DW

No comments: